Dorchester Borough Gardens, Dorset

Plincke restored the gardens which were originally laid out in 1895 by William Goldring of the Kew Guild and sited alongside the old Roman city walls – now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The brief was to provide the necessities of a modern park in harmony with the historic landscape. We worked with archaeologists who maintained a watching brief as a number of Roman burial positions were exposed and recorded during the works.

We provided contemporary features, including a refreshments kiosk and new play areas for toddlers and older children, with ‘Roman ramparts’ earthworks in between. Tree felling, pruning and reshaping of planting beds were undertaken to reinstate areas based on photographic records and to restore sight lines between features such as fountains, a bandstand and bedding out planting schemes. New planting was designed according to research in the Kew archives.